It started off so simple. I found this fun idea from Mom to 2 Posh Lil’ Divas and thought it might be fun for J to do. I filled up four glass jars with vinegar and a drop or two of food coloring.
I then loaded up four spoons with baking soda.
J picked up each spoon and poured in the baking soda. The reaction was really cool! Bubbles fizzled up and over the top of the cups! J thought it was pretty awesome and wanted to do it over and over again.
The problem is that the reaction got less bubbly every time. But, J really wanted to mix, pour, and stir. So….I added some cups of flour, water, and the artificial sweetener, Splenda (sucralose). I added the Splenda because we just don’t use it anymore and it kind of fizzes when mixed with water.
J loved the added ingredients and spent the longest time mixing and and pouring everything together.
But it did get a bit messy!
This could have been just a simple 5 minute activity of just baking soda and vinegar. The problem was that J wasn’t finished playing yet. So, by adding a few ingredients I turned it into a messy concoction making activity that J LOVED!
The things we learned today:
- J practiced pouring which is great for hand eye coordination and motor skills.
- He learned about how different ingredients react with each other.
- We practiced words (mix, pour, bubble, fizz, ect.)
- He worked on color identification.
- This was a wonderful sensory experience where he experienced different textures, smells, and tastes.